9 to 5 Mac
Right on the heels of releasing the free Find My Friends app just moments ago, Apple has also issued the long-rumored AirPort Utility app which lets you manage your AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express and Time Capsule base station right on your iOS device. In fact, the app offers pretty advanced features allowing you to pretty much effectively manage networks and base stations like its desktop sibling.
To download the app, access Settings on your iOS device, go to your WiFi settings and tap the little blue arrow next to the currently active network and then hit the Manage This Network button at the bottom of the sheet. Alternatively, use this link to download the AirPort Utility app right from the App Store. Note that the program requires iOS 5, expected later today. From release notes accompanying the 4.5MB download:
Use AirPort Utility to manage your Wi-Fi network and AirPort base stations, including AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and TimeCapsule – right from your iPad, iPhone, ir iPod touch. See a graphical overview of your Wi-Fi network and devices. Change base station and network settings, or manage advanced features such as security modes, wireless channels, and more. AirPort Utility works with all Apple 802.11n Wi-Fi base stations, including AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and Time Capsule.
We’ve included four additional nice-looking screenies and the official features list right below the fold.
– see a graphical overview of your Wi-Fi network
– get information about your connected Wi-Fi devices
– view and change network and Wi-Fi settings
– restart or restore a base station, or update the firmware on a base station when available
– view or update passwords for your network, base station, or disks
– easily access network information such as IP address, DNS servers, and router addresses
– manage DHCP reservations and port mappings
– view status or error messages for your base station